Russell Brand admits ‘extraordinary and distressing week’ and floats media conspiracy over sex assault allegations

Russell Brand thanked his supporters in a new video for helping him through an “extraordinary and distressing week” as he floated a new media conspiracy about the rape and sexual assault allegations made against him.

The underfire TV personality took to Twitter to talk directly to his fans about the sexual misconduct allegations levelled against him by four women last weekend, and at least one more woman on Friday.

“Obviously it has been an extraordinary and distressing week and I thank you very much for your support and for questioning the information that you have been presented with,” said Brand in the three-minute video.

Brand used the video to attack the UK government and social media platforms which have shut down his ability to make money from his accounts.

“By now you are probably aware that the British government have asked Big Tech platforms to censor our online content and that some online platforms have complied with that request.”

Brand then told his supporters that it had been done in the “context of the Online Safety Bill” in the UK, which he said “grants sweeping surveillance and censorship powers” in the country.

The comedian and former BBC presenter then warned his followers about the “Trusted News Initiative”, which is a partnership of international news organisations that aims to tackle disinformation.

“Trust is the last thing you should be offering,” claimed Brand as he said the group’s aim was “to target, control, choke and shut down independent media organisations like this one.”