Residents in a Nottinghamshire town hit hard by flooding caused by Storm Babet have said they are outraged at the lack of action to protect them and their homes.
Homeowners on Durrell Street in Retford were evacuated in the early hours of Saturday morning due to rising water from the nearby River Idle.
Some have since returned to their water-damaged properties, but said more should have been done to protect against the elements.
They have also criticized a visit by Environment Minister Therese Coffey, who visited the street on Monday, with one resident describing it as an attempt to “polish its halo”.
Kevin Maunder, 72, said it had flooded almost every year of the 48 years he had lived on the street, but this year was the worst he had seen, with the grandfather-of-four raising concerns about the future and the effects of climate change.
He said: “This year has been the worst year ever. It is the first year that it meets the road, but gradually in the last years it gets worse, it climbs higher and higher on the houses across the street and on the road.
“This year was a unique event, as they say, but I don't think it will be a unique event.
“Planning for the future must be done. He has never been to my house before. Not many houses on this side of the road have been told before.
“The world is changing, the climate is changing. It's about time people started thinking.
“I don't think about today, not about tomorrow, but about my grandchildren, about the future.”
Mr Maunder also raised concerns about raw sewage in the water and suggested many residents may need to disinfect their homes before returning to them.
The road and its residents were visited by Ms Coffey on Monday, but Mr Maunder questioned where the flood defense money was being spent.
He said: “She was here to burnish her halo. Why (he said) “I'll promise you billions, we spent billions,” but you didn't do anything, so where did you spend the billions?
“Sorry, (she) asked questions, every time.
“48 years and nothing has happened. So do you think anything will ever happen? I don't.”
One resident, who did not want to be named, was bracing for further rain on Tuesday after being woken up by police at 2.30am on Saturday morning, telling him to evacuate.
It was using carpet, a tent and bags of dirt and sand to stop any further water flowing in, with a yellow rain warning in place for the East Midlands and Yorkshire & Humber until 4pm.
He said the sandbags ran out and those previously promised had not been delivered.
He said: “It was horrible. We had no help from anyone. I think the MP came a few times, I guess he did his best.
“The foreign minister came yesterday for 20 minutes, I saw it on the news. There was no help at all and I don't think we got any clear answers.
“I think it's ridiculous that it keeps happening and there's no communication.
“The weather forecast predicted this and the amount of rainfall, so there is no precaution.
“This could have been avoided if they had checked the weather forecast.”
The Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs has been approached for comment.