A woman hands over a logo from web search engine provider Google during the ‘re:publica' digital society festival at the Berlin Arena in Berlin, Germany on June 9, 2022.
Annegret with respect | Reuters
You can delete your phone, email and home address Google The search that appears when you enter your name.
The feature can be a useful tool for removing some of your personal information from Google Search, although this does not mean that the information is removed from the entire Internet or from a specific website. It will still exist, but it won't show up when you search for your name, so it will be harder for people to find that information.
The “Remove this result” feature is in its beta version and there are several ways you can complete the request.
If you're just trying to remove your phone number, email or home address, here's how to do it:
Google Search has a “remove this result” feature.
Jake Piazza | CNBC
- Search your name on Google.
- Click the 3 vertical dots next to the website that has the information you want to remove.
- Click the button “Remove result” in the upper right corner.
- There are five options, but for phone number, email address, and home address, select “This shows my personal contact information.” For other requirements, click the arrow next to the other bars.
- Click the arrow to the right, then click Continue three times once you've reviewed Google's terms and signed in to the Google Account you want to link.
- Enter your name and the relevant contact information you wish to remove. For example, if you're trying to clear your personal phone number, make sure it's entered. Click “Continue”.
- Click “Send”.
- You can click “I'm done” to return to the Google Search page.
- If you want to review your requests, click the “Go to deletion requests” bar.
- It may take a few days, but Google will notify you of the decision to remove your listing by email. You can also check your Google Activity to see the status of the request.
This is what it looks like when your request to delete personal information is approved.
Todd Hazelton | CNBC
You can control your request by going to the “Data & Privacy” options in your Google Account. Scroll down and click “My Activity”. Then click the three dots in the search bar and select “Other activity”. Click on “Manage Results About You” and you can see the status.
You can also use this link Making a request for even broader reasons. If you want to delete personal information, select “Content contains your personal information”.
This route can be used for other types of personal information, such as Social Security and bank account numbers.